Friday, December 9, 2011

Philosophy of Physical Education

Philosophy of Physical Education
A pragmatist believes that Physical Education systems should be based on the needs and interests of the students.  So do I.  I think that the educator should tailor their lessons they teach to each individual’s level, or learning capacity.  As an educator, I want to teach my student’s a variety of activities that will provide them with multiple experiences.  I want to teach the students exercises that will make them work with their intellects, as well as their bodies.  I believe that having a healthy body is just as important as having a healthy mind.  I want to be able to motivate my students; to encourage them to strive to be better in whatever they do, to teach them to live their lives the best they can.  I want to help them think for themselves.  I believe that all of these qualities are crucial in an educator if they wish to help students be successful in whatever path they choose.  As a future physical educator, I believe that it is important to stress the importance of playing sports (team) or activities (lifetime) outside of Physical Education class.  I believe that it gives the student added motivation to do well in school, as well as, working to attain goals that can be tied to goals in life.  For example, in sports, the athlete works on strategies to avoid losing or, if they do lose, to prevent it from happening again.  This is teaching them to use their minds to think of ways to get around barriers or obstacles that may obstruct them in their lives.  Being on a sports team, or even in a physical education class, stresses the importance of teamwork too.  I believe that teamwork is crucial to one’s success, whether on a sports team or in the working world.  As a future educator, I will repeatedly stress this.  If one does not how to work with their team towards the accomplishments of a particular goal, that goal will never be reached.  As a physical educator, I will try to inspire all of my students to live an active and healthy lifestyle.  I will make sure to encourage this by setting my own examples in the way that I live.  My lessons will always be constructed so that they stimulate students to live healthy lives and become self-motivated individuals with the desire to succeed, mentally and physically.  I will make sure to provide my students with the necessary skills and techniques they need to be good movers, thus enhancing their physical well-being.  Although my main goal is to develop the physical well-being of my students, I will not neglect to bring other subject areas into the classroom.  I will communicate with my colleagues, making sure to link content from their classes whenever possible.  This is an excellent way to give my students the multiple experiences that will make them work with their intellects, as well as their bodies.  I will constantly challenge my students, through my lessons, to help them grow as individuals, remembering to keep in mind that not all students are alike, remembering to tailor my lessons so that they are beneficial to everyone in the classroom.  As a physical educator, I believe that it is imperative for me to ensure that every child exits my classroom inspired to continue a healthy lifestyle and with a strong sense of self-efficacy.  I want them to know that anything is possible, as long as they are willing to put forth the effort.  I hope that they will have learned, from my teaching, that they can overcome any obstacles; nothing is impossible.  When my students leave my classroom, I want to be confident that they have grown, both physically and mentally, and are on the path towards success.

No comments:

Post a Comment