Thursday, December 15, 2011

Philosophy of Education

Philosophy of Education
Education is a very crucial part of society.  In this country we are extremely fortunate to receive an education, not to mention- a good education.  As someone who strongly believes in the pragmatic approach to the philosophy of education, I believe that the emphasis should be on the development of the whole person.  I believe that education today accomplishes just that- the development of the mind, body, and soul.  The difficult standards that are set by the New York State Educational System for students today are a perfect example of development of the mind.  Students are encouraged to think and reason for themselves in order to be successful on the exams, as well as, in life.  Education today also emphasizes the importance of the development of the body by encouraging students to participate in a variety of sports (both team and lifetime), as well as, making Physical Education classes mandatory for each student.  With sports programs, the athletes are taught to prepare for their competition by thinking of strategies to win.  This supports the pragmatic approach which is based on the “practical approach (based on what works).  The athletes are taught to think of ways to avoid losing and, if they do lose, they are taught ways to prevent it from happening again.  The people that provide you with your education- your teachers- are the people who are your guides while you are in school.  They are your stepping stones along your life and education.  They are the people who you learn from.  I want to make sure that, as an educator, my classroom is a safe and inspiring environment where students are encouraged to grow and develop themselves.  I firmly believe that it is important to have a solid program where you teach in a way that will draw students in, inspiring them to be the best they possibly can.  The classroom needs to be a place where students feel comfortable and secure, a place that is both inviting and inspiring.  I will make sure that I am always positive and smiling because I believe that it is important to be positive- you’re never fully dressed without a smile!  Your students need to know that they can do anything, they need to believe in themselves and this is exactly what I will help them do, as their teacher.  I believe that it is crucial to use creativity to open the minds and develop the character of your students.  The teachers that stand out in my mind were the ones who took simple lessons and applied them to life lessons.  They were inspiring to me, even as a student in the third grade, and made me feel that I could do or be anything I wanted in life.  As an educator, you have the opportunity, every day, to make a difference in these students’ lives.  Everything that you say and do is important in helping them grow.  I will always remember this when teaching my lessons because I want to be the teacher who they remember ten years later when they are sitting in a classroom being asked by their college professors about which teacher had the greatest influence on them.  I want to be the one who made a difference in their lives, the one who inspired them and helped them develop into responsible adults.  I want them to remember every lesson that I taught them and every experience that they received in my classroom.  I will make sure that my classroom is inviting, inspiring, and nurturing; a place of constant positive reinforcement, a place where my students know they have a solid support system in me.  I will make sure that I use my creativity to design every single lesson that I teach to be motivating and enhance my students learning in any way possible.  It is my personal goal to make a difference in the lives of my students, to help them create their own identities, to be one of their stepping stones in their journey of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment