Monday, December 12, 2011

Goal Setting!!!

On November 16-19, 2011, I had the privilege of attending the New York State Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance’s Conference held at the Turning Stone Convention Center in Verona, New York.  It was an incredible experience and I was able to meet several amazing and inspiring teachers.  I learned many fun, interesting games and activities that I cannot wait to use when I am teaching.  I met teachers who I have already contacted and arranged times where I will be able to travel to their school and observe their classes.  I learned so many things that will help me as a future Physical Educator but the one session that had the most impact on me was presented by a young lady named Sara Reinertsen.  She was the first female leg amputee to complete the Ironman Triathlon World Championship in Kona, Hawaii.  Her talk was about “Getting to Your Finishline” and how you should go about doing that.  As a Physical Student here at SUNY Cortland, I feel as if I speak for many of us when I say that this is not an easy profession to enter.  Jobs are scarce and sometimes you can begin to feel almost hopeless.  Sara’s talk was exactly what I needed to inspire me to believe that anything is possible.  According to Sara, the first thing you have to do is to get committed- write down your goals and tell people about them.  It is crucial that you believe in yourself.  Make sure that you start your goals out small and work towards attaining bigger goals.  Remember that these milestone goals, the little goals along the way, are important and celebrate your success of them.  The next thing to do is to make a plan and schedule time to work towards these goals that you’ve set.  Never be afraid to ask for help- find mentors and supporters who you know will be there for you every step of the way.  Be adaptable and open to change.  Things will happen that you never expected and you have to be willing to adapt as necessary.  The last step is to take action.  The only way that you will ever be successful with your goals is if you put in the work.  Sara’s journey of working on her way towards completing the Iron Man was so moving that many people in the room were brought to tears, or on the verge of tears.  It took her thirteen years of hard, vigorous, every day challenges to become an Iron Man.  When I walked out of that room all I wanted to do was begin setting goals for myself and put them into action.  It made me want to strive to be the best teacher I possibly could.  Although I learned so much from attending the conference, the most paramount thing I learned was to dream big.  Anything is possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment