Sunday, September 18, 2011

what i hope to be as a teacher someday

First let me start out with a quote that I learned in my Educational Psychology class here at SUNY Cortland, "They don't care how much you know until they know how much you care."  I think that this is so true with teaching.  One of the most important things in teaching is you have to be able to connect with the children; to show them you care.  Thinking back on my many years as a student, whether it be college, high school, or elementary school, the teachers that stand out the most in my mind are my favorite teachers.  These are the ones who I felt a connection with; the teachers who I could tell (as a student) cared about me and wanted me to be successful.  As a youngster (before college), my favorite teacher was my third grade teacher.  He made learning fun for me by finding creative ways to teach so I would understand critical concepts.  His enthusiasm was infectious and, to this day, I know that I want to be just like him in that aspect.  I sincerely believe that it is crucial, as a teacher, to show enthusiasm and passion for what you are teaching.  It is also crucial that you stay up-to-date on your subject matter, mine being Physical Education.  I believe that, as tough as it can be, teaching is one of the most rewarding jobs that one could ever have.  Every day, one gets to go to school and have the opportunity to change studen'ts lives for the better.  I can't wait for the opportunity to work with children every day; to help better themselves.  It is also critical to know and understand the subject matter that you are teaching.  Children want to learn.  It is your job, as their teacher, to motivate, encourage, and guide them along.  It is important to remember that every child learns different.  It is your job to find ways to connect with each and every child so that they all benefit.  At this point in my life, I 've had the opportunity to observe all different types of children in different physical acitivity settings.  Every teacher that I've observed has their own style, some effective and some not.  From observing them, I've learned exactly who I am determined to be as a teacher and who I am not going to be.  Every day I am trying to come up with new ideas that I can use when I, one day, have my own classroom.  This is exactly how a teacher should be...passionate and open to endless possibilites.  My personal motto is "Learn by doing" (John Dewey).  It is important to try everything at least once and if it doesn't work try something else.  Hard work is key to success.  In order to succeed at anything you have to willing to fail.  Children are easily influenced and, as their teacher, you have to opportunity every day to do just that.  If you had asked me, at five years old, what I wanted to be when I was older I would've told you "a cowboy."; at ten I would've told you "a player for the Boston Red Sox"; and at twelve I would've said a "detective".  I never would've told you that I wanted to be a Physical Education teacher and now I can't think of anything I want to be more than that.  I can't wait for the opportunity to make a difference in these childrens' lives and to open their eyes in ways they never realized possible.  I can't wait to inspire them the way that I've been inspired by my teachers here at SUNY Cortland!!!!!  Oh..and speaking of being inspired...come on Red Sox!!!!  I know that you can do this!!!!!  All I am asking is that you make the playoffs!!!!..Please!!!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment